Located at the mouth of the Cape Fear River and on the Intracoastal Waterway, Southport, NC is a idyllic maritime community that takes pride in preserving its rich history. It was most recently named the 2015 Happiest Seaside Town in America by Coastal Living Magazine! Southport is a charming place to vacation if you’re looking for just a little bit more than the beach…
Southport is well known as the home of the North Carolina Fourth of July Festival. For over 200 years this small fishing village has celebrated our nation’s independence with a bang.
The celebration has grown from colonial times when ships lay anchor in her harbor and shot their cannons to today’s festival where 40,000 to 50,000 people come each year. Numerous activities take place throughout the week and culminate with a beloved parade and fireworks over the river with live music and dancing in the streets!
In Southport NC, the historic homes with rocking chair porches provide the perfect place to start and finish the day. This home was featured in the Nicolas Sparks film “Safe Haven”, one of over 40 movies and television shows that feature the picturesque town of Southport NC.
This picture-perfect town was also named one of Coastal Livings 2015 Top 10 Happiest Towns in America. There are so many things to do in this happy town throughout the year – it is a great place to vacation year-round.
Enjoy the Cape Fear riverfront, live oak lined streets, fine dining and eclectic shopping choices in this town steeped in Colonial and Civil War era history. Both the Bald Head Island and the Fort Fisher Ferries depart out of Southport, opening your exploration opportunities even more.
Our marina view vacation rentals place you in the heart of Southport and within walking distance to anything this town has to offer. If you are staying on Oak Island, we highly recommend you take a day of your vacation to explore this picture perfect town.
THINGS TO DO
- Relax on the swings at Waterfront Park and watch the ships navigate the inlet
- Enjoy a bicycle tour of the historic district
- Shop at the waterfront farmer’s market every Wednesday
- Dine on fresh seafood at the popular yacht basin waterfront restaurants
- Go fishing from the city pier and catch dinner
- Browse the many art galleries on the First Friday Gallery Tour
- Visit the Maritime Museum and learn about the pirates of our area
- Stroll Howe Street and visit the many local gift shops, clothing stores and antique galleries Feel the wind in your hair on a sailing charter
- Take the ferry to Ft. Fisher and visit the touch tank at the NC Aquarium
Margaret Rudd and Associates has Southport Vacation Rentals that can give your vacation a different perspective! Take a look at our properties and find your perfect getaway today! These are especially fun to rent during the 4th of July or US Open King Mackerel Tournament.