10/01/2020 to 10/03/2020Get Directions
Coastal Carolina's Premier Fishing Tournament
Forty plus years ago a small group of community leaders met and decided that they needed an event to showcase the great fall fishing Southport-Oak Island area has to offer. The prizes and expenses for the first tournament were guaranteed by those community leaders signing a promissory note at a local financial institution - thus the U.S. Open King Mackerel Tournament was born. The U.S. Open King Mackerel Tournament now attracts 400 boats annually and is held in high esteem by the community and anglers.
Register for your opportunity to take part in this historic fishing event and a chance to win one of the coveted prizes. The tournament guarantees its entire prize structure; it is not based on the number of boats that participate. **Please note that this year, due to COVID-19 and damages sustained to Southport Marina by Hurricane Isaias, the location has been moved to Dutchman Creek Park and there will be no spectators allowed to watch the weigh-ins or offloading. Captains and crew should review information on the https://www.usopenkmt.com website as it contains a good amount of updated information, social distancing guidelines for the tournament, etc.
2020 US Open King Mackerel Fishing Tournament Schedule
Thursday, October 1st
- 10am to 9pm - Drive-thru On-site Registration & Packet Pickup Open at Bill Smith Park, 4410 Fish Factory Road, Oak Island NC (No boat trailers allowed in line)
- 7pm - Virtual Captains' Meeting (It is strongly advised that captains watch this meeting, as any rule changes or clarifications will be announced.)
Friday, October 2nd
- 7am to 9am - Check-out Points open & competition begins
- 11am - Scales open at Dutchman Creek Park barge, 4750 Fish Factory Road, Oak Island NC
- 2pm to 5pm - Live streaming of weigh-ins from the scales
- 4pm - Check-in point manned at Frying Pan/American Fish Co at 319 W Bay Street, Southport NC and Malcom Register Park at 334 NE 52nd Street, Oak Island NC
- 5pm - Competition ends for the day
Saturday, October 3rd
- 7am to 9am - Check-out points open & competition begins
- 11am - Scales open at Dutchman Creek Park, 4750 Fish Factory Road, Oak Island NC
- 2pm to 4pm - Live streaming of weigh-ins from the scales
- 3pm - Check-in point manned at Frying Pan/American Fish Co at 319 W Bay Street, Southport NC and Malcom Register Park at 334 NE 52nd Street, Oak Island NC
- 4pm - Competition ends for the day
- 4:30pm to 7:30pm - Live entertainment by Island Fever
- 6pm - Live SiriusXM Marine demonstrations at Point Click Fish trailer
- 7:30pm - Virtual awards ceremony
Spend the US Open with MRA and Save!
If you're fishing in the tournament and looking for a place for you and your crew to lay your heads, be sure to check out all of our available Oak Island vacation rentals or contact our office at (800) 486-5441.