Traveling With Your Pet? Oak Island's A Great Option!
Rather than spending all of that extra money on boarding your pet or leaving your fur baby with someone else, let them partake in your family vacation fun! Vacation rentals are ideal for traveling with pets as you can avoid issues like cramped quarters or a lack of outdoor areas that accept and welcome your four-legged family member.
Not only do we offer many pet-friendly vacation rentals to suit your stay, the area itself offers many benefits to pet owners while vacationing in Oak Island, Caswell Beach and Southport. The City of Southport received an official BETTER CITY FOR PETS™ certification in 2019 based upon its commitment to creating a pet-friendly community and fostering the well-being of all citizens and pet companions. Many local businesses, especially those with outdoor seating areas, welcome pets to their establishments. In addition, there's no shortage of area veterinarian hospitals or pet supply stores to help you in times of need.
- Bob's Dogs, Oak Island NC
- Dry Street Pub & Pizza, Southport NC
- Fishy Fishy Cafe, Southport NC
- Joe Loves Lobster Rolls, Boiling Spring Lakes NC
- Lazy Turtle Bar & Grill, Oak Island NC
- OKI Scoop Shop and Donuts, Oak Island NC
- Shagger Jacks, Oak Island NC
- Four Paws Veterinary Hospital, 4320 Southport Supply Road SE, Southport NC (910) 457-7387
- Oak Island Animal Hospital, 5520 E Oak Island Drive, Oak Island NC (910) 278-7575
- River Road Animal Hospital, 8593 River Road SE, Southport NC (910) 454-8910 (AAHA-Accredited)
- Southport Animal Hospital, 4955 Southport Supply Road SE, Southport NC (910) 457-5051
Pet Supply Stores & Grooming Services
- Dirty Dogs Door to Door (910) 512-8891
- Gonzo's Animal House, 7201 E Oak Island Drive, Oak Island NC (910) 250-1186
- Greenwood Pet Camp, 2780 Greenwood Circle SE, Bolivia NC (910) 253-6970
- Jenny's Puppypaws & Kittyclaws, 1206 N Howe Street, Southport NC (910) 454-4100
- National Petland, 1304 N Howe Street, Southport NC (910) 457-5770
- Pawsitive Mobile Pet Spa (910) 524-6728
- Pet Supplies Plus, 2823 Midway Road, Oak Island NC (910) 253-7087
- Sand2Suds Pet Grooming, 8308 E Oak Island Drive, Oak Island NC (910) 278-1111
Pet Safety & Local Leash Laws
Both the Town of Caswell Beach and the Town of Oak Island vary regarding leash laws.
- Caswell Beach Unleashed dogs under the control of their owners are permitted on the beach between dawn and 9:00am. During the cooler months from October 1 to April 30, unleashed dogs under the control of their owners are also permitted on the beach between 3:00pm and dark. They must be on a leash at all other times.
- Oak Island Generally speaking, between March 15 and October 15 all dogs must be on a leash at all times. From October 15 to March 15, dogs are permitted on the beach without a leash from 6:00am to 8:00pm given that they are not left unattended, that they are under visual and voice control at all times, and that they do not visit with other beach goers or dogs without permission.
For the most current and accurate information when it comes to regulations and ordinances regarding pets, be sure to visit the towns websites and the City of Southport website.