16 Jun 2022
Southport is an idyllic waterfront community in North Carolina. The community is quiet and slower-paced than neighboring beach communities, perfect for a long weekend or a couple’s retreat. Our Southport rentals sit just a short drive from Oak Island Beach while offering easy access to the local boutiques, eateries, and attractions that are unique to Southport. Book a Southport vacation rental to enjoy the easy lifestyle, stroll under the historic live oak trees, and experience the charm of downtown!
Check out our guide on what to enjoy during a long weekend in Southport!
Things To Do in Southport
Southport’s waterfront location makes it a prime destination for fishing, boating, and water sports. The top activities in the area are centered around the water. Check out a few of our favorite activities in Southport:
- North Carolina Maritime Museum at Southport: This museum focuses on the maritime history of the Lower Cap Fear River.
- Southport Waterfront Park: This 9-acre park sits near downtown and on the Cape Fear Riverfront. The perfect spot for a sunset stroll or a midday picnic, the park is a must-visit during a Southport vacation!
- Southport Pier Riverwalk: Stroll the pier and riverwalk to watch the fishermen cast their lines.
- Southport Marina: Located near downtown, the Southport Marina is a hub for boating on the intercoastal waterway. Rent a boat or take a tour of the intercoastal waterway and enjoy time on the water!
Shopping in Southport
The shopping in Southport is not to be missed! With unique boutiques and gift shops, Southport is a perfect destination for strolling and window shopping! Here are a few of our favorite shops and boutiques in Southport, NC!
- Southport Market: This market is a hub for Southport locals and visitors alike with ice cream, fudge, gift shop items, and unique craft items for sale. Whether you stop in to cool off with ice cream or to browse for something special as a souvenir, this one-stop shop will not disappoint!
- Southport Trading Co: This gift store boasts t-shirts, clothing, jewelry, accessories, home goods, and more. Find something to remember your visit by or bring something home for a loved one!
- Magnolia’s: The unique boutique is a family-owned business that sells artisan jewelry, home goods, and more. Find jewelry pieces made by artists from around the world as well as women's clothing items, artisan home décor, and more.
- The Coastal Cottage Shoppe: This charming shop is a hub for artisan-crafted home goods, jewelry, décor pieces, and even refurbished furniture pieces. Find art pieces by local artists and pick up some décor with coastal flair!
Dining in Southport
The coastal community of Southport is home to delicious seafood, unique eateries, and nightlife hotspots. Check out a few of our favorite restaurants
- Fishy Fishy Café: This local eatery offers lunch and dinner with dishes like coconut shrimp, po'boys, shrimp tacos, surf and turf, and more. The waterfront eatery is the perfect place to grab lunch when shopping on Howe Street!
- Oliver’s on the Cape Fear: This Southport restaurant serves up southern cuisine in a more upscale dining setting. The waterfront restaurant offers both indoor and outdoor seating with views of the Cape Fear River. Choose between dishes such as pasta, seafood, and steaks that can be paired with choice wines.
- Southport Smoke House: is a casual eatery that offers all the BBQ classics as well as mouth-watering southern sides like baked beans, mac & cheese, and potato salad!
- American Fish Company: Perfect for a night out on the town the American Fish Company is the perfect place to enjoy live music. The waterfront bar is a hub for nightly live music as well as offering a full bar and cold beer.
Stay in a Southport Vacation Home
This year, our Southport vacation rentals have a reduced minimum night stay. Between June 3rd and August 26th, 2022 book a stay with a 3-night minimum! Check out our Southport vacation rentals below!
‘Marina View’ is a 3-bedroom, 3-bath Southport vacation rental perfect for a quiet, coastal escape! The charming interior boasts plenty of modern touches while still feeling like a unique home-away-from-home. Guests of this vacation home will enjoy access to a seasonal community pool as well as a location convenient to the eateries of downtown as well as Oak Island Beach.
‘Aunt Evelyn’s’ will give you the comfort of staying with family! This 3-bedroom, 3-bathroom Southport short-term rental offers views of the Southport Marina. The condo has accommodations for 6 to enjoy a stay in the quaint fishing village and enjoy amenities such as a seasonal community pool, a fully equipped kitchen, and a bright living room.
Take a look at our Southport rentals on a map to see how close they are to everything!